Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012


Hi writers:

A confession: I am a wretched flyer. I let all of the “shoes off, shampoo bottles visible, throw away your yogurt” rules bother me and make me feel small. And I opt out of walking through the x-ray scanner because it is creepy, not necessary, and because research suggests that the radiation reaches our organs.

This weekend during travel in New York, after I opted for a pat-down, an airline employee tried to persuade me into the machine by saying, “There is a good chance your personal belongings might get stolen while you wait.” I boiled in silent helplessness for a few minutes, got the pat-down, retrieved my (unstolen) belongings, and then decided to write the airline an irritated citizen letter. In that act of articulating my complaint, I thought of one more reason why writing can be a thing of such value.


PROCESS: WRITING FOR CHANGE

This weekend reminded me that writing, or speaking or even language at all, is first about change. If we have everything we need and the world is just as we want it, there is nothing to say except for an occasional “isn’t this nice?” It helps, in the writing process, to remember this. Words are intended to change things.

Try this: In writing dialogue, try only including words in which one character is asking for something – be it respect or a piece of pizza or a kinder world. Think about the hidden “wishes” of words.


FEATURED VENUE: MILK SUGAR

Milk Sugar publishes writing with all sorts of unexpected takes on the universe. The editors say “there are no delusions of grandeur here, just good, solid and creative writing.” They are accepting new work through March.



PROMPT

Write a short piece objecting to something. (10min)

No comments:

Post a Comment