Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 25, 2012


Hi writers,

This summer I wrote a writer’s “credo,” a statement that focused on my relationship with making art. If you’ve never done such a thing, I highly recommend it.

Mine happened on accident: I had ducked into a grocery store to wait out a flash rainstorm, and while sitting at the counter I gave myself the prompt: “How to be a writer.” I loved what came out and have since printed it to keep on my desk. (It’s also on my website under “Writing” if you are interested in reading it.) Compressing those ideas onto a single page felt like making pure maple syrup out of a huge, unwieldy tree.

I encourage you to write and share credos of your own. I’d love to read them and, with your permission, share them with other Tuesday Writers via this newsletter.

Cheerio!    
Elisabeth


PROCESS: CREDO

What does creativity mean in your life? What has it meant, and what do you want it to mean? Capturing these thoughts in the concrete form of a credo can serve as a guide for future writing, a reminder of what matters most to you in life and art, a beacon for what you want your art to do.

Try this: When writing a credo, consider both the internals (what you care deeply about) and externals (what frames, routines, and nourishment you need to do the work).


FEATURED VENUE: CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL

Oh yes. Believe it or not (but believe it!), after 100,000 stories in countless anthologies, the Chicken Soup for the Soul series is still seeking new stories and poems that show how ordinary people overcome life’s challenges. Aim for a clear beginning, middle, and end.



PROMPT

“How to be a writer” (12min)

No comments:

Post a Comment