Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July 31, 2012 - Guest Blogger Kristiana Gregory


Hello Writers and Friends,

After 30 children’s books with traditional publishers (Harcourt, Holiday House and Scholastic), I’ve jumped off an emotional cliff and have self-published a YA thriller. The free-fall is exhilarating & swift, also terrifying. I miss the friendships with my editors, their reassurances, and the teamwork. Now out on my own there are no fact-checkers, copy editors, publicists or sales reps, and no monetary advance. I spent two years writing and editing STALKED, with my artist son doing the cover and interior drawings. The upside here is that instead of waiting & waiting for a contract then waiting & waiting to finally see the novel in print--a process that often takes another two years--it took two days. With a click from my laptop the manuscript was uploaded, sent to KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) then made available to e-readers via Amazon. Here is the book itself, and here is a review of the book written by Elisabeth McKetta. STALKED is also now in paperback! 

-- Kristiana Gregory


PROCESS: USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO PUBLICIZE YOUR WRITING

I’m still trying to figure this out. My daily anxiety is whether to isolate myself and write or to blog about writing.

Try this: For one week keep track of how much time you spend on the Internet, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, reading blogs or whatever, versus actually creating something original.


FEATURED VENUE: KINDLE DIRECT PUBLISHING

Amazon makes it super easy to self-publish your writing and sell through the Kindle store. The process is free and fast, and authors can opt for the 70% royalty program. It’s an exciting alternative to getting your stories in print, with some pros and cons mentioned above.



PROMPT

“I have been following _________’s posts on Facebook/Twitter/whatever and found out that s/he is actually my _____________.” (5min)

No comments:

Post a Comment